Nothing makes Valentine’s sweeter than a rich sinful chocolate treat for your sweetheart. If you’ve never made a Swiss Roll Cake then make sure to follow the instructions precisely.
- 3/4 cup bobs red mill 1 to 1 gluten free baking flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp ( rounded ) baking soda
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 4 Eggs ( divided ) rooms temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp Earth Balance Butter ( Stick ) room temperature
- 5 tbsp Cashew milk ( or almond milk )
Cream Cheese Frosting Filling
- 1/2 cup Wayfare dairy free cream cheese room temperature
- 2 1/2 tbsp Earth Balance Butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 drops Pink gel food coloring
- 1 cup dairy free chocolate chips I used Enjoy Life Mini Semi Sweet Morsels
- 11 tsp cashew milk
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
For The Cake
- You will need: a 11″ x 15 1/2″ Jelly Roll Pan Instructions : – Preheat oven to 375° – In a medium bowl mix your flour, soda, cinnamon, salt, & cocoa powder, set aside.
- Melt your butter in a small dish, set aside.
- Next separate your eggs. Put your yolks in a large bowl and your whites in a medium bowl.
- Now beat your egg whites on high for 5 to 6 minutes until stiff peaks form, set aside.
- Add your 3/4 cup sugar to your yolk mixture and beat on high for approximately 2 minutes until yolk mixture is pale in color.
- Next add your 5 tablespoons of cashew milk, 1 1/2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar, and 4 tablespoons melted butter to the yolk mixture. Blend until combined.
- Now blend your flour mixture into your yolk mixture until thoroughly combined , scraping the sides of the bowl as you mix.
- Gently fold your egg whites into your cake batter until combined, don’t overmix.
- Line your jelly roll pan with parchment paper making sure the parchment paper covers above all sides of the pan. Then spray parchment paper with oil.
- Lay a new piece of parchment paper on the counter ( clean surface ). Make sure the parchment paper is the same size as the one on your jelly roll pan. Now lightly dust the parchment paper with cocoa powder.
- Next pour your cake batter into your jelly roll pan ( leaving about a half inch around the edges ) using an offset spatula smooth out batter into pan. ( make sure it’s evenly spread )
- Place your pan in the oven and bake at 375° for 16 minutes or until you can gently touch the middle of the cake with two fingers and it springs back up.
- Once cake is done baking let it sit for 8 to 10 min to cool just a bit. ( I’ve found it to have less cracks if you don’t roll it right out of the oven. Just don’t let it cool completely, 8 to 10 minutes is perfect. ) Now trim edges of the cake before you roll it. This will clean up and straighten the edges of the cake. Don’t take too much off just enough to clean up the cake.
- Now go ahead and flip your cake onto the cocoa dusted parchment paper, and gently and slowly remove the parchment paper on top.
- Next grab the parchment paper it’s laying on and slowly yet tightly roll the cake from the short end until completely rolled. ( make sure to roll tight.. can’t stress that enough ) twist the ends of the parchment paper to hold in place.
- Let cool on wire rack or counter for a couple hours.
For The Filling
- While the cake is cooling start your filling. Blend your cream cheese, butter, and food coloring. Once completely mixed , slowly add in your 3 cups of powdered sugar.
- Once cake is cooled unroll it gently on a flat surface, spread your cream cheese filling evenly over your cake leaving a 1 inch border all the way around the cake. Now re roll your cake leaving the parchment paper behind. Next place in plastic wrap and then foil twisting the ends. Place in the freezer for an hour.
For The Ganache
- Next make your ganache. In a microwave safe bowl add your chocolate chips, cinnamon, 4 tsp cashew milk, and vanilla. Now place bowl in the microwave and microwave on high for 20 second intervals, stirring between each interval until melted. Once chocolate is melted add in 7 more teaspoons of cashew milk. Let it is sit until completely cooled.
- Take the Swiss roll cake out of the freezer and slowly pour ganache over cake, smoothing it out with an offset spatula. Decorate… Now place on serving dish and put it in the refrigerator for no less than a half hour, or carefully freeze until ready to serve. ( cover loosely ). – Enjoy ♥️
- If you forget to put your eggs out ahead of time and they are not room temperature, place them in a bowl of warm water ( not hot ) for 5 or more minutes.
- For that perfect slice of cake, heat your knife in hot water for a few seconds, wipe dry, then slice away 🙂
- After rolling Swiss Roll in the parchment paper to cool, you can gently place it between two objects to help it stay put, so the cake doesn’t relax while cooling
- Category: desserts
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: american
Keywords: gluten free, gluten free baking, gluten free desserts, Chocolate Swiss Roll Cake, gluten free Chocolate Swiss Roll Cake