This healthy Leek and Potato Soup is loaded with savory flavor and puree’d to perfection! The perfect comforting rainy spring night soup.
- 4 tbsp. Earth Balance Butter or 1/4 cup
- 6 cups rough chopped Leeks = 4 medium leeks OR 3 extra large leeks ( Use white and light green parts of the Leeks only. Discard the dark green part. )
- 2 lbs. Yukon Gold Potatoes peeled and chopped
- 4. TBSP. diced shallots
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 7 cups Vegetable Broth ( or use chicken broth for non-vegan )
- 5 sprigs of fresh Thyme
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. fine ground sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk ( optional )
- Clean and prep all produce.
- In a large stock pot melt your butter. Add shallots, garlic, and leeks. Saute for about 8 to 10 minutes until soft and tender.
- Then add in broth, potatoes, herbs, and seasonings. Bring soup to a boil, then cover and turn the heat down to low, let simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove thyme and bay leaves from soup. Puree soup in a blender in batches. Make sure to only fill the blender half way each time or the soup will spill out. If you have an immersion blender you can also do it this way.
- Once soup is blended transfer back to original pot and stir in coconut milk. Add additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with your favorite toppings like red pepper flakes, cilantro, chives, croutons, or whatever flips your switch!
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: american
- Method: cook
- Cuisine: savory
Keywords: vegan leek and potato soup, leek and potato soup